Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Let's Talk About It Tuesday: Close Enough

Emma blows me away daily with all that she says correctly -- she even gets her pronouns correct most of the time -- but there are some things that I refuse to correct her on, simply because I am not ready for my baby to grow up.

A few examples...

"Hold You!" -- Her way of asking me to hold her, although she has corrected herself a few times lately :(

"Applepines" -- Pineapples! This one just makes me smile all day.

"Bapes" -- Grapes. This has become a family favorite.

"Momiter" -- Monitor. As in the one that tells us Kendall has woken up from her fifth 10-minute nap of the day.


And then there are the times when Jeff and I just look at each other in disbelief that we are holding complete conversations with our very opinionated 2 year old.

One example from this week...

E: "Mommy, I want to watch TV."

M: "You already watched Mickey Mouse this morning."

E: "How 'bout a little bit TV?"

M: "Why don't you sit next to Daddy and watch football?"

E: "No, Mommy. That's not a great idea."

6 comments:

Melissa said...

They say the funniest things. Gavin still calls spaghetti-"bisghetti". I just cant correct him, it sounds too cute!

NM said...

aaplepines??!!?? Thats so cuuuute!!

grandma bernard said...

I have to admit - my favorite is still 'hold ju' (at least that's how it sounds to these old ears). Although 'bapes' holds a close second :-) Now about that football thing....Emma, you & grandma are gonna have to have a little talk - it's always a good idea to watch football!

M. Fox said...

I cannot believe it! Veronica says ApplePIE for pineapple!!! almost the same! I love it! Emma is so darling. Veronica isn't talking quite so much yet but she's getting there. I know exactly what you mean about not correcting them. I don't ever want Veronica to stop using those darling baby phrases. All too quickly they're going to be saying things like "I'm so sure, Mom!" (complete with eyeroll)

aunt nenni said...

OMGosh! I have totally not checked the blog this week! I'm not used to you being so on top of things again, good job Lis! I love it! She is too cute! And Emma, your Auntie Nenni doesn't like football too much either, so it's ok...just another way you are like me I guess. :)

Jennie said...

Awww, cute. We do the same with Rose - letting her mispronounce somethings, as it's too stinking cute. She says "too-licious" instead of "delicious" and "pe-lax" instead of "relax".