Monday, June 20, 2005

We Survived!

Well, Jeff and I survived my 3-hour glucose test, although barely. I have to say I'm not usually a complainer, but this test did not agree with me -- or the baby for that matter. After fasting for 12 hours (and being misinformed that this included no water -- um, wrong!), I was quite anxious to start the testing on Saturday morning. We were the first ones there and things seemed to be going according to plan until I started drinking that lovely sugar concoction. It's not that the drink tastes all that bad -- think flat orange pop with two extra cups of sugar -- but when you have to drink it in 5 minutes on an empty stomach, it isn't as easy to get down -- or keep down -- as you'd think.

Anyway, after sitting in the waiting room for about 10 minutes, it became pretty clear to me that I needed to take the nurse up on her offer to lay down in a separate room. It was either that or yack all over Jeff and/or pass out in the middle of the waiting room. So we got moved, and it then became a game of mind over matter -- and, with my stubborn nature, I'm happy to say my mind won in the end, although it took some major effort. Laying down prevented passing out, but it also made it difficult to keep the drink down, so I'd have to sit up to force it back into my system. Add this little up-and-down game to our VERY active baby's kicking tendencies, and you can imagine what a lovely memory this was. Jeff handled it well, although he was a little frustrated that this was all necessary. We both were wondering what this was doing to the baby if it was making me so miserable???

BUT I did end up making it through, and had a yummy -- and big -- breakfast afterwards, so all is well again. I even got in a 2-hour nap in after we got home, so I was completely back to normal by 2pm.

Any lessons learned? Yes: Assuming this test comes back negative for gestational diabetes, I am no longer going to feel guilty if I give in to any chocolate and/or sugar cravings once in a while. If they can do this to our baby and call it safe, my Reese's peanut butter cups are certainly not going to do much harm! :o)

On a side note, I realized that this blog could use a little info on Baby B's development. So here, courtesy of, is a general idea of what is going on with Baby B this past week (pay no attention to the "she" references. I think this is their way of being "PC"):

"Your baby's a bit more than 15 1/2 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds. A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and fills out your uterus. Her eyes open and close, she's able to distinguish between light and dark, and she can even follow a light source back and forth. Once she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have a visual acuity of only 20/400 — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. ("Normal" vision in adults is 20/20.)"

I just love getting these weekly updates! It's amazing what's going on inside my belly. How anyone could ever have a baby and not believe in God is completely beyond me. It is truly a miracle!

Well, that's it for now, but I'll post my glucose results once I get them. We have our next doctor's appt. tomorrow, so I hope to get them then. In the meantime, try to have a happy Monday! :o)


Mama C-ta said...

Hey! So glad your test went well and you didn't lose the drink and have to do it yet another time. It made me sick too, I was really surprised it did but like you said, mind over matter! Anything to avoid having to try it again! And isn't it the best breakfast in the world after you've fasted and had that horrible stuff in your stomach!!

And thanks, now all I want are some Reese's PB cups! Looking forward to the results!


HEY Lisa just checking in on you. Glad to hear things are going well! Baby will be here soon! TAKE CARE!:0)