Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Getting Close?

Unfortunately, our long-awaited doctor's appointment got postponed...again! If you recall, last time we had a quickie with a nurse -- no internal and no measurements taken, but some questionable weight loss reported. So, as you can imagine, we were really excited/anxious about this next appointment, which was scheduled to happen yesterday (Tuesday). I was supposed to have my strep test done, which means a definite internal exam that will check for some sort of bacteria, but more importantly, it will tell me if all is moving along "down there." Any effacement? Have I dialated? These are key pieces of info that keep a pregnant woman going in these last weeks! Well, the doctor had some sort of emergency and called to cancel right before my appt. yesterday. I was not happy. I reminded the nurse that I am full-term and that I haven't seen a doctor in 3 weeks, and I'm supposed to be seeing him once a week. Plus, I haven't had my strep test done yet, which is supposed to happen before you deliver. She said, "I know, you're pretty far along, sorry. We can take you Thursday." So, Thursday it is. Frustrating, yes, but what else can we do?

The good news is the baby is moving a lot (as usual!), so I assume all is well, but I'd like to know what's happening, especially since I could officially go any time now. I'm sure I won't deliver too early, and I know it's all a guess anyway (even if you ARE dialated), but I'm looking for some sort of info to get me through the week, ya know?

On the bright side, today will go by fast since tonight is my last shower. It is being thrown by one of my good work friends, Norma. It will be a small gathering of women colleagues, so it should be nice. I'm really looking forward to it because it will also kind of be a "going away" shin-dig since I won't be back in the office full-time once Baby B is here. I'll still go in once a week for a few hours, but it won't be the same. I'm going to miss everyone, but I know I could also list about a thousand responsibilities I won't miss! :o)

This last week has been a lot of fun as Jeff and I get everything ready for Baby B's arrival. :o) I bought some nursing clothing for the hospital and have my bag almost packed, so I feel pretty organized. Plus, Jeff installed the car seat last night, and I have an appt. set up to have it inspected (in spite of Jeff telling me it isn't necessary), so if something does happen, we can pick up and go!

The baby's room is also almost ready. We've hung the window valence, and I started organizing the armoire and the baby stuff that needs to be washed. Jeff has put together most of the baby gear, so we are fully equipped! It is so fun to have it all sitting around our house… it makes it so much more real to think that a baby will be using it all before we know it! We can't wait! :o)

As we get closer, I am thinking of taking a few vacation days off before my due date to make sure all is in order, but we'll see. I wanted to take those days off sporadically throughout the next few weeks, but I'm not sure that will work as I try to wrap things up for our next issue. There's too much to do before I go; yet, at the same time, it would be nice to ease into this whole mommy job. :o)

I will post updated belly pics soon and will give the doctor update once we know something (anything!). Until then, we wait and thank God for our little miracle on the way...

No comments: