Tuesday, May 10, 2005

On a Misson...

Okay, so we're finally going to get our butts moving on the baby's room. So far, we've been trying to tie up loose ends around the rest of the house, but I finally realized yesterday that the general house list is much too long to finish before starting on the baby's room. So, I started my frantic mission yesterday, searching the Web for everything from cribs to wall art.

So far, the only thing we have is the baby's bedding (courtesy of Grandma and Grandpa Bernard), which is a good start. I have the crib sheet, crib skirt, and window valence, but I am on a waiting list for the bumper still. That's supposed to come in next week. The bumper is actually the "inspiration" for the room, so I'll feel much better once I have it in hand. You can check it out at Pottery Barn Kids.

As some of you may have already heard me say, the room won't really have a theme, but be more of a primary color "hodgepodge" of everything baby. That's my goal at least. So, I'm only doing the Kasey bumper and some mix and match bedding. The sheet is green gingham, which matches one of the stripes in the bumper, and the crib skirt and window valence are primary color animals that are just adorable -- a lion, a chicken, and my favorite, a green frog with a yellow crown. He's so cute!

Paint colors will most likely be yellow and denim blue. Yellow on top with a chair rail separating it from the blue paint on the bottom. We're going to attempt Ralph Lauren's denim finish, but we'll see what happens. Our experience with faux painting hasn't been so great…

The rest is, well, still up for grabs. I know I want to do wooden crib and armoire cabinet and possibly a white changing table and glider. My struggle has been to find affordable, cute furniture that is also safe. It's a little stressful buying this stuff, knowing that it is going to hold your little one. Do I get a drop-side crib for convenience and take the chance that the hardware might loosen? Do I get a crib that converts to a toddler bed or is it a waste of money? Everyone has their opinions -- and I've heard them all -- but we have to figure out what ours is. It's just so much to think about.

Accessories will most likely be the fun part, although I feel like I can't focus on those until the big stuff is finished. I know I want lots of red in there and some fun lamps. I may even get creative and make a lamp shade I saw on the Web that I'm too cheap to buy. We'll see how that goes. I guess I can blame that on the whole nesting thing (and all the HGTV shows I can't seem to get enough of!) ;o)

Well, I'll keep you posted on our progress, but I can assure you something will be finalized by this weekend! Just pray that Jeff survives my very determined agenda!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Lisa, Jeff and Baby B---
Have you tackled registering yet? Let us in on your fave stores so we can all help you furnish your baby's new life! And make sure I'm on that shower list! Love you all--and miss you! TERRI