Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Moooom, Don't Be So Dramatic!

I can almost hear these words coming out of our little Emma's mouth. Let's just say she's adjusting to this whole formula thing just fine. No emotional scars on this baby... just give her some food -- any food -- and she's fine. She doesn't even seem to mind the horrific smell of this stuff (although it makes me want to gag!).

It has been really nice letting other people feed her and not stressing about pumping and replacing bottles. Besides giving me a break, it's a good way for her to get more comfortable around others. As some of you already know, she is a little particular about who holds her.

She even took a bottle from me okay. She was a little confused about how to suck at first, but eventually figured it out and was done in 2 minutes flat. Of course, that was a bottle of breast milk. The real test is when I try to give her formula, but she's taken it fine from everyone else, so I'm thinking positively.

She doesn't seem to be reacting to the formula either. She does have some dry skin on her cheeks all of the sudden, but I also gave her cereal the other day for the first time in a long time and it was caked all over her face. So, it might be from that, but I'm keeping a close eye on it. But if all goes well, she'll most likely be weaned by this weekend or next week at the latest.

I am also doing better than I expected. I thought for sure I would cry through our first bottle-feeding together, but I found myself more worried about her swallowing air that I didn't even think twice about it. Before I knew it, it was over, and I was fine. A much easier transition than I expected.

I have to say that I will miss the late-night feedings the most. That was the only time Emma nursed like a "normal" baby -- all snuggly and not so EXTREMELY wiggly. There is something special about no one else being up in the house and the two of us spending some quiet, relaxing time together. As most of you know, the words quiet and relaxing don't exactly describe miss Emma -- AT. ALL. But during our late-night feedings, she nurses and ends up falling asleep on my shoulder. Her sweet face always ends up facing mine and I snuggle with her, cheek to cheek. That is of course, in between kissing those chubby cheeks and little lips a million times. It is in those moments that all of this is worth it. Every single second. By the way, for those who are wondering, I will be nursing our next child for as long as I can. Like I said, totally worth it.

So we're doing great. Emma slept a pretty long stretch last night after Jeff gave her a bottle, so maybe we have finally turned a corner. Still, I'm not holding my breath. I don't count on anything happening more than once with this little peanut. I just treasure the moments when it goes well. It's the only way I stay sane. Plus, we are going away to Geneva this weekend, so I'm sure her sleep schedule will be all off and we'll be starting from scratch next week. BUT, we'll get spend some quality time with the B clan, and I may actually be able to order food from a menu, so I'm looking forward to it. I wonder if they have an Aurelio's in Geneva… :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny, I think you are right, us moms make everything so much more complicated when the kids can probably care less!

I'm happy to hear she is doing so well with the weaning I hope it continues to be a smooth process. I also hope she isn't reacting to the formula. Who knows it could even be a seasonal thing w/her face too. Julian has a rash on his stomach...not looking good, I think it's a reaction. Of course I don't know where to start, is it his solids or my food?? Ugh.