Thursday, April 26, 2007

Why I Serve

So I have been missing from the blogging world recently (what, you didn't notice?!!). Well, I have been, but for good reason. Springtime is here, which means crazy ministry time at church. Everything is close to wrapping up for the year, so there's much to be done before summer hits. Specifically, our youth group and church ribbon dancing troop have been taking up a lot of my time.

The problem is that between those things, a few others, work, Emma and pregnancy hormones/exhaustion, I started to get overwhelmed. Really overwhelmed. And I started feeling sorry for myself. I was even getting to the point of getting mad at others who didn't seem as concerned I was about certain things -- or who didn't seem to care that I was running around with 15 hats on my head!!!

And then I had my moment of clarity: During a drive home about a week ago, I was able to spend a little alone time with God. I vented my feelings and my frustrations, and in His awesome quiet voice I heard the word I REALLY needed to hear: Glorify.

You see, THAT is why I do everything I do. Not for me, not for MY glory, and not for the glory of others, but for His. I serve because I love Him. I serve because I want more people to love Him. And I serve because I believe it will make a difference in the New World (Heaven) that I will live in someday.

Somehow, in the midst of our business, it's easy to lose sight of why we do things for others. It's easy to stop and make it about ourselves and feel like we are being used up -- or taken advantage of. But it's in those times that our focus is off God and on ourselves -- which is why serving is no longer enjoyable.

Yes, there are times to re-evaluate your schedule to see if you are burning out. And yes, there are some times you need to take a break to re-energize. But I also think that more often than not, we simply need to remind ourselves that glorifying God is the LEAST we could do for all He has done for us. Plus, when I am doing it for Him, I truly enjoy serving.

I often have people ask me if Jeff and I will "cut down" on our ministries as Emma gets older and especially now with a second child coming, but I really don't know that we will. I want my children to know it isn't about them and that we are called to serve others. It's the only thing that makes a difference in this world.

I will never put my service before my family, but I do intend to make it a part of my family. What better way is there to glorify God?!

4 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Yes- I totally get what you are saying. I just wrote about something similar last week. In the bible it clearly is called that we serve for His glory and not our own recognition... you are so sweet. And do you dance with the ribbon group, too?

Steph

Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

No, no dancing at church for me! :o)
Just choreographing for our 4th, 5th, and 6th grade girls.

Anonymous said...

You should you know, you would be beautiful! You make me so proud. Thank you for the reminder. Glorifying God should be why we do everything that we do, because He Is Who He Is...and we are not ;o)

Carol said...

Well put! Glorify on!