Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Make

So I'm not really a crafty person, but I have to admit that I've had the itch to make something with my hands the last couple of years. I even asked for a sewing basket for Christmas a few years ago and was ecstatic when I also got a sewing machine. Okay, yes, it is still in its original box and collecting a whole lot of dust, but I WILL learn to use it someday. (It's on the life list, right next to learning to play the piano and touching a letter on Wheel of Fortune.)

Anyway, when I started planning Brooklyn's birthday party, I decided it was a good excuse to go a bit "Martha Stewart" and try my hand at some DIY party stuff. You know, do the whole "theme" thing and actually buy materials to make things like banners and cupcake toppers...things most sane people would buy from the store.

If there is one thing I have learned this last year it's that life is something to be celebrated. And although the party preparations totally stressed me out and only about half of the guest list ending up attending, I don't regret one of those crafts or little touches that I knew I wanted at this party. Something inside of me wanted to express -- with my own two hands -- just how beautiful life is to me these days.

How simple pleasures can mean everything.

How something as simple as tissue can turn into a beautiful flower. How colorful paper can dress up a cupcake. Or how fresh flowers in the middle of a table or a bag of gummy worms might make somebody's day a little brighter.

Yes, Brooklyn's 1-year mark gave us a lot to celebrate. "Big" things like successful surgeries and a functioning shunt, and "little" things like kicking legs and contagious giggles. But, what we have really learned is that EVERY day is a gift that should be celebrated. And perhaps more importantly, that joy is not found in what you are given, but what you make of it.



IMG_5931 
Ignore the fact that the pink flower on the left is hiding the letter "b" in "birthday." It's not a big deal...really. I mean, it doesn't bother me at all. Not at all.



IMG_5932
(*Note: I did not make the pinwheels. Those were purchased from this crafty lady.)


IMG_5964


IMG_5968

A HUGE thanks to my Mom who helped me make a ridiculous number of tissue pom-poms. XOXO


IMG_5937
The absolutely gorgeous dress made by my friend Katie that Miss Brooklyn tolerated for almost the entire party.

IMG_5939



IMG_5951
My three garden fairies...




IMG_5986

IMG_5998
Big sister making sure little sister inhales as much sugar as possible.

IMG_5999
Not sure if she ever found the cake, but she sure did love the icing.


IMG_6001








IMG_6011

IMG_6014

IMG_6025
"Yeaaaaaahhhhh!" (One of her favorite words...second only to "Hi!")



And the big finish... showing off her latest trick -- pushing to sit!-- that managed to squeeze out a few tears from her adoring audience. (Video later this week.)


IMG_6026

IMG_6027

IMG_6028

IMG_6029

IMG_6030

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
Psalm 139:14

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

everything looked great! I'm so sad we missed her party!

Anonymous said...

You did a great job!!! So happy I was able to celebrate Brooklyn's 1st Birthday with all of you. Love You!!! Aunt Lorrie

Katie said...

So many special touches! I love it. Your bright colored poms hanging in the yard are wonderful. I can not wait to see the video of pushing to a sit. WAY TO GO BROOKLYN!!!

HennHouse said...

Love it. All of it. What a blessing your three adorable girls are--to you and to those with whom you share them. God bless you all!

Karin.

Carrie said...

Wow - your decorations are beautiful, but nothing compares to your gorgeous little miracle girl! :) So precious! I love that she's pushing up to sit - so amazing! Happy (late) birthday, Brooklyn!!! :)