Thursday, October 06, 2011

Hello, Sunshine

IMG_6610

Well, we are back this week linking up to Small Style at  Mama Loves Papa. Sorry we missed last week, but you know, we had some extra snuggling to do after the whirlwind of surgery. We did have a little excitement Friday and ended up back at the hospital with a high temp, but we were home before midnight and back in our own beds, which is always a blessing to this mama.

The temp is now gone, and our rock star is on the mend. She is already trying to figure out how to scoot around on those bandaged legs! Obviously these photos were taken pre-surgery, but trust me, we are finding ways to rock those casts. Stay tuned!

IMG_6615 edit

I have to admit that there is always this "down time" for me after we go through surgery or one of our Spina Bifida "reality checks." The adrenaline (and the prayers!) get me through it all at the time, but it's the "after shock" that tends to be hard on me emotionally. Life does indeed go on, but my heart needs a few days to get back into the swing of things.

Although part of me feels weak for not jumping back in full force with thanksgiving, the other part of me is starting to realize that a little "down time" is probably healthy. It gives me time to feel, to reflect. I mean, one minute I'm sending my baby off in a stranger's arms to be operated on for almost 5 hours, and the next day I'm getting Emma off the bus and searching for misplaced library books. It's all a bit much for any one person to process.

But as I seek Him to guide me through this journey, He -- as always -- is enlightening my perspective and easing the burden. The clouds are now parting, and and I am starting to see the rays of sunshine. And although I'd love to think that someday this might all become second nature to me, somehow I don't really think that will be the case. My trust in Him might grow as we get farther in this journey, but I have a feeling my human nature will always take me back to Him, asking for His help, His encouragement.

And, really, isn't that the point?

IMG_6667

Making it Work... 
Shirt:   Carters (1st b-day gift)
Pants:  Baby Gap (niece hand-me-down)
Shoes: Star Child from Urban Baby Runway (Emma hand-me-down)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is gorgeous! I am amazed at your strength and love, very inspiring!
xoxo

Katie said...

Lisa,
I wish I would have read this before I wrote to you the other day. It is so perfect. It is so something I get/feel. There are some moments/appointments/experiences that I feel like should be "day stoppers" - you know to give us a little bit of time to process. to feel. before jumping back in with the school chase, the laundry, and the conversations with others who expect us to be the strong ones, the thankful ones, the ones who are always looking on the bright side. I want to be that person, I do, but sometimes I need a day.
Thank you for sharing so honestly!

Jodi said...

Lisa~
Love your posts... always. :) FYI, I tried the email you gave me, but it keeps telling me it is "undeliverable." Here is mine... see if we can connect. :)
jodigbeaver@yahoo.com